The Judicial Greffe (Jersey Court Service) wishes to recruit to the role of Magistrate’s Court Greffier. The Magistrate’s Court Greffier is the senior Clerk to the Magistrate’s Court. Applicants must be educated to degree level in a law-based discipline or possess a legal professional qualification (barrister, solicitor or similar). It is essential that applicants should have extensive management experience and/or hold a managerial qualification or membership of an appropriate professional body. It is also essential that applicants should have practical experience of the Jersey Court system (or the court system in a comparable jurisdiction) and a sound knowledge of court procedures. The post holder will be responsible for the lower courts, directing and controlling all aspects of the operations of the Magistrate’s Court, Petty Debts Court and the Youth Court, and setting strategic aims and goals that are aligned with those of the Judicial Greffe.
The range of work covered includes criminal, youth, civil (claims up to £30k), tenancy and enforcement of maintenance. The Criminal Procedure (Jersey) Law 2018 (which applies to the Magistrate’s Court and Youth Court) is based on the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
This high profile role requires a person with first class leadership skills, a mature approach to problem solving, and a track record in effective management of resources. In addition, the person we seek will:
- be experienced in implementing policies to ensure effective and efficient delivery of services;
- be committed to a culture of performance management;
- have the experience to motivate and develop a team;
- have strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- be able to work on their own initiative, with minimum supervision, in a challenging environment;
- be able to ensure policies, procedures and controls are in place to ensure compliance with all relevant legislation.
Informal enquiries to:
Advocate Adam Clarke, Judicial Greffier, on 01534 441300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about moving to Jersey can be found at Moving to Jersey (gov.je)
Applications should be made via the Jobs in Jersey section of www.gov.je by 14 November 2021