County Motor Works (Chelmsford) Ltd v PBFW Ltd

Fire – Damages. The proceedings concerned a dispute as to liability in respect of a fire which had occurred at the defendant's premises and spread to the claimant's premises. The claimant contended that the fire had started as a result of the self-combustion of linseed oil-soaked rags, which the defendant had disposed of in an unlidded metal tin within the spray booth enclosure at the defendant's premises. The Queen's Bench Division, in dismissing the claim, held that the fire had not started as alleged by the claimant, and accepted the defendant's case that the cause of the fire had been an electric fault.

Category: