To be responsible to the UK Litigation Manager, who reports to the Legal Services Director, for assisting our members when they receive employment tribunal claims by assuming conduct of cases from drafting documents, visiting clients, preparing cases for hearing and representing clients in hearings.
We are looking for candidates who are confident, articulate and legally qualified, who have direct employment law experience. The successful candidate will be part of the UK Legal Team and will work closely with the employment law advisory service, the Litigation Executive team and Senior Leadership Team. There is a strong focus on delivering high standards of care and service to our clients and we are looking for someone with good communication skills and high professional standards.
• Review allocated claims brought against clients in the Employment Tribunal, in conjunction with the appointed Litigation Executive preparing the case, to include approving the drafted pleadings, disclosure exercises and bundles of documents.
• To work within the Successflow case management system and undertake the case preparation tasks assigned. This may include case preparation, which can be from approval of the ET3 Response, or any such point as the case is allocated to you, until conclusion of the case at Tribunal.
• Make early and prompt contact with clients to notify the conduct of the case and to advise and take instructions from clients and witnesses at a client visit.
• To advise clients and witnesses of the Tribunal procedure and what they can expect during the hearing.
• Obtain all relevant and necessary documentation and to draft appropriate applications or responses on behalf of clients for their approval.
• Prepare any reports for the insurer in respect of any claims as may be required.
• Advising clients on the merits of any claims and the prospects of successfully defending claims.
• To the possible settlement of claims and to provide appropriate advice and guidance at all times during the conduct of a case.
• To liaise with the Litigation Manager and Insurance Claims Team on any cases, in particular indemnified cases, where there are concerns about the prospects of success.
• Conduct any conciliation or settlement negotiations on behalf of the client, in accordance with the client’s instructions.
• Visiting clients either at their premises/offices or at the Group’s Head Office and/or Regional Offices.
• Identify witnesses and assist in the preparation, drafting and finalising of witness statements or evidence in chief for hearing.
• Complete preparation of trial bundles or documents in the appropriate or agreed format for the final hearing.
• To review the insurance position following receipt of full client instructions and liaising with the Insurance Claims Team in respect of any issues arising which may affect the insurance position.
• Attending and conducting case managements discussions, preliminary hearings, full merits hearings and remedy hearings as and when required at hearing centres in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
• Demonstrate commercial knowledge of the Company’s range of services and products and to be able to discuss these with clients as appropriate, and to proactively assist in the retention of existing members and to promoting new business opportunities by obtaining introductions for potential new clients.
• Responsible for ensuring that the requisite knowledge of employment law and technical skills is of the standard required in order to be able to carry out the work and to the standards as outlined in this job description.
• Attend either at Company Head Office in Manchester or at the company regional offices and participate in team or other meetings as required by the Litigation Manager, or the Legal Services Director.
• To assist in building and maintaining a cohesive and motivated team, providing leadership and support to colleagues and peers.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
The role will involve travel throughout the United Kingdom in the course of your duties, to visit clients and to undertake hearings.
You may also be required to attend Tribunal User Group or Employment Law Seminars and meetings from time to time. These may be outside of normal office hours.
What you Bring to the Team
• Grit, determination and will to succeed.
• Strong organisational and administrative skills
• Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative
• Have an approachable and diplomatic manner
• Able to influence and motivate others
• Able to work as part of an extended team
Why Join our Team? This is a highly exciting role within the UK’s leading provider of HR and Employment Law services.
Our culture is incredibly driven and supportive and takes employee welfare seriously with a strong emphasis on rewarding success. You will be working with a great team of colleagues. Next to this we offer you a competitive salary, training, career development and a dynamic approach to work.
‘To apply or request further information, please send your CV and a covering letter to James.Potts@peninsula-uk.com