Child Care Solicitor/Barrister
Oxford, £42,821 - £49,860 per annum
Permanent and fixed term (2 years) available, Ref: OCC268349
Our Legal Childcare Team is changing!
Following some internal promotions and with the need to expand our team, we are looking to recruit Childcare Solicitors or Barristers.
We are a friendly and supportive in-house legal team who deliver high quality childcare legal work for Oxfordshire. We work collaboratively to meet the service needs in this busy and dynamic area of law whilst also promoting a work-life balance for our staff.
We take development seriously and offer training and supervision opportunities to build expertise within the team and support our members to meet their career goals. We have a proven record in supporting transition from other legal disciplines and recognise transferrable skills for those looking to change direction and join this interesting and rewarding area of practice.
We work flexibly and are committed in the long-term to an agile model utilising working from home, our Oxford office and Court as suits our team members and service needs.
About the role
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing general legal advice to the client departments of Oxfordshire County Council relating to public care proceedings, adoptions and general child protection matters.
- Managing a varied and interesting caseload of childcare work.
- Undertaking advocacy, where appropriate, and instructing external Counsel.
- Assisting with training delivery within the team and for the client department.
- Promoting improved safeguarding practices and shaping Council policy on Childcare matters through engagement with linked services.
To be successful in the role, you will need:
- To be a Qualified Solicitor/Barrister
- Possess a positive attitude and be committed to a career in child protection work
- The stamina to work as part of a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- To be team player who supports your colleagues to meet the service needs
We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working in Childcare law who are interested in working on our more complex cases.
This role is subject to a Criminal Records Check.
Great benefits for the role include:
- Competitive rates of pay
- Agile working
- Flexible working arrangements
- 29 days’ annual leave each year (plus bank holidays)
- Staff discount scheme
- Working within a multi-million pound organisation
- A range of activities to support health and wellbeing
Would you like to know more?
For more information, or to arrange an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, please contact Nancy Marsh, Principal Lawyer (Child Care) on Nancy.Marsh@Oxfordshire.gov.uk
Please visit our website to apply.
Closing date: 28 November 2021.